Friday 5 May 2017

Artist statement




My work focuses on a number of different themes and people’s beliefs. The main and most recent theme involves animals. I have produced a number of different product designs involving animals, screen printed t-shirts, tote bags. Other products include key chains, mugs, business and postcards. Other projects include A Teenagers Guide to Survival and YCN Student Awards Bear brief. A Teenagers Guide to Survival being set around dangerous animals within African Safaris. The bear brief focuses on teaching kids unique facts about different animals and the environments they live in. I have produced work based around word phrases for the project Word Play, being set around creating a series of illustrations for a Concertina book presenting the 15 illustrations based around a phrase which I set around the theme of spying.

The theme of animals is presented in my work to present a number of themes and ideas from presenting dangerous animals in A Teenagers Guide to Survival. The project aims to give advice and to teach kids certain techniques to avoid being attacked, the work being developed both using watercolour and Photoshop mediums. Other themes involve teaching kids unique facts about different animals and the environments they live in. The YCN Bear projects is focused on presenting visuals and facts which kids would be interested in adding states so kids can compare the animals together and play a card game comparing the states, The project being produced using both watercolour and Photoshop mediums. The Art of Self Promotion being set around developing a number of products for self-brands. I had designed products based around the theme of animals, as animals have a worldwide audience and can target audiences of all ages. I focused on producing product designs involving popular and well known animal species. The idea is to have a selection of work which would gain more interest based around animal popularity, the products being produced using screen prints and Photoshop.  

Other work is set on word and image. The Word play brief being designed to create work which connects text and image. For the brief I produced 15 illustrations which represent the phrase and the theme of spying. The brief setting for the 15 illustration including a cover design for a Concertina book, the Word Play brief being produced using Photoshop. The themes I focused on illustrating include landmarks, spy planes, helicopters, satellites, detectives and handheld devices. The live editorial brief is set around people’s beliefs on large brand clothing companies covering up damaged products which cause serious injuries. For this project I produced an illustration set around an article which focused on the topic of injuries. I presented an illustration of a judge surrounded by money accepting a bribe while a large trainer is crushing a number of football players. The article included experts claiming the number of incidents involving the product is just by coincidence. I chose to showcase an illustration of a judge representing the experts being paid by Nike to support their claims while the football players suffer, the image being produced using Photoshop.    

Overall my work explores a number of different themes and beliefs. A lot of my work has been set around the theme of animals which I have presented in different ways with my main target audience being children. The ideas for the projects is to teach children about the different types of animals and the threats they give. The product designs involving animals are designed to target all aged audience who have an interest in animals. My work which may be quiet child oriented, but I introduce an adult take.

The work based around people’s beliefs are set around a number of different ways of developing work around different people’s beliefs on themes. The Word Play project is based on the phrase eye in the sky which I choose to focus on presenting 15 illustrations of spying in a number of ways. The Live Editorial brief is set around players getting serious injuries whilst wearing Nike football boots. I decided to illustrate how Nike might be covering up any issue with their footwear by bribing so call experts to support their claims. I used a judge figure to represent the experts being bribed by Nike while football players are being crushed by a large cracked trainer. The YCN Student Awards Quorn brief is set around the idea of advising healthy eating. I choose to illustrate a number of food products including meat burgers surrounded by a stop sign to advise people should not eat too many and should consider healthy options.     

I learned about working with better techniques and processes within Photoshop being able to produce better imagery, working within a number of paint mediums being able to create a series of painted images, combining word and image together looking within the text being able to produce imagers which links and works well with text. I also learned more about how to work towards briefs within the artistic industry.

For my Final Major Project I am developing a comic book based around written tales from Sum: Tales from the Afterlife book. The idea is to push myself and develop my understanding further of combining text and image, being able to create a number of visuals based around the tales. I am interested in producing a comic based around the book using my visual language I can develop a strong body of work based around a number of chapters which I can produce into a good developed comic. Reading through the book I found it interesting with its humor which I wanted to transfer with my illustrations.

As an artists I want to become a freelancer, but who does work for companies developing good designed work. I also want to produce a number of products to promote my own brand which includes similar designed products I had worked with. I want to become a known artist who has a strong body of work and ideas to play with.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment